Our commitment and policy reflects the integrated way we work across Shell in the areas of health, security, safety, the environment (HSSE) and social performance (SP). All Shell companies, contractors and joint ventures under our operational control must manage HSSE and SP in line with the commitment and policy.
In Shell we are all committed to:
- Pursue the goal of no harm to people;
- Protect the environment;
- Use material and energy efficiently to provide our products and services;
- Respect our neighbours and contribute to the societies in which we operate;
- Develop energy resources, products and services consistent with these aims;
- Publicly report on our performance;
- Play a leading role in promoting best practice in our industries;
- Manage HSSE & SP matters as any other critical business activity; and
- Promote a culture in which all Shell employees share this commitment.
In this way we aim to have an HSSE & SP performance we can be proud of, to earn the confidence of customers, shareholders and society, to be a good neighbour and to contribute to sustainable development.
Every Shell Company:
- Has a systematic approach to HSSE & SP management designed to ensure compliance with the law and to achieve continuous performance improvement;
- Sets targets for improvement and measures, appraises and reports performance;
- Requires contractors to manage HSSE & SP in line with this policy;
- Requires joint ventures under its operational control to apply this policy, and uses its influence to promote it in its other ventures;
- Engages effectively with neighbours and impacted communities; and
- Includes HSSE & SP performance in the appraisal of staff and rewards accordingly.
We originally published the commitment and policy in March 1997 and the Executive Committee updated it in December 2009.
General Disclaimer: The companies in which Royal Dutch Shell plc directly and indirectly owns investments are separate entities. In this Policy the expression “Shell” is sometimes used for convenience where references are made to companies within the Shell group or to the group in general. Likewise, the words “we”, “us” and “our” are also used to refer to Shell companies in general or those who work for them. These expressions are also used where no useful purpose is served by identifying specific companies.